October 1, 2008

Olden Goldies

My next two album buys will be new releases:

The Pretenders double album Break Up The Concrete comes with a bonus CD- an idea I really hope is used more. I've decided to not listen to samples online, I want this to be completely new when I hear it. I rarely listen to the radio but my friend Mike says at least one track he's heard is really excellent. I've long loved Chrissie Hynde's work but have been especially taken with material from Last Of The Independents, Viva El Amor, Loose, and later unreleased cuts from the Pirate Radio box.



I've been listening to samples of Meet Glen Campbell once or twice a day on amazon since I saw him perform a new song on late night, and then read Jeff's Review.  Glen showed up on Leno the other night as well, backed by some of his kids which was pretty cool. We had a couple of his 45's when I was a kid, but I never thought I'd be buying one of his albums! I will try to find them locally Friday, but amazon only has 3 left in stock so time is running out!  Customers at Amazon mostly rave about this set, I can't wait to hear it.  Also a great cover!



I came within a few irrational thoughts of buying an original sealed copy of Thriller from eBay a little while ago. The 25th Anni Edition has arrived and I'll pick it up tomorrow, so I'm not sure why I want an original as well when there are so many other titles I want right away.

After my first losing bid for Thriller, I talked myself out of it in favor of the Eagles Greatest Hits 2 for 5 bucks+ship. "I Can't Tell You Why" is in my all-time top 10. I hate the cover but I love the album with almost all my fave Eagles songs- only Witchy Woman, One Of These Nights, Those Shoes & Please Come Home For Christmas are missing.  I could do without their earlier hits- Desperado, Take It Easy, Best of My Love, Lyin' Eyes... although there is a sealed copy of their first Greatest Hits ending tomorrow night and still sitting at a buck (from the same seller even). I'll try to get that one.

No comments: