August 13, 2010

An all-day rare date with a cutie and fellow music buff landed us at Thunderpussy browsing the many bins.  Needing something to commemorate the day, I picked up an unheard-of 10" ep from Black Joe Lewis.  We took it home and cutie (being a local DJ) put it on, out blared the bass and funky horns and harmonica!  NICE!!

Came with an expired download code on the back of a sweet "BITCH, I LOVE YOU" sticker. 

After the date (went well, thanks!) I immediately went online to hunt down more Black Joe Lewis.  The EP was a January '09 preview for the full-length Tell 'Em What Your Name Is released on Lost Highway vinyl the following March.  *WANT!*

Couldn't find it locally but snagged a played-once copy on eBay for $4, seller no longer had the download code- probably expired anyway- but said he would burn a disc of them for me. Cool.


Couldn't find it locally but snagged a played-once copy on eBay for $4, seller no longer had the download code- probably expired anyway- but said he would burn a disc of them for me. Cool.

BJL & the Honeybears are a 'Garage Soul' band from Austin TX, completely old school, '60's style Soul/R&B/Blues obviously influenced by all the greats. I LOVE THIS BAND!



Both are single-pocket jackets, with white die-cut sleeves, no printed materials except the sticker in the EP.



Black Joe Lewis & the Honeybears

1 comment:

Jeff said...

Glad the date went well - how exciting! It made me smile to know that you were compelled to buy new vinyl to commemorate the day, because I *totally* get that. :)