February 1, 2011

Christmas Booty Pt. 2



Bound to be on a lot of Best of 2011 lists, The Decemberists forgo the conceptualism of The Crane Wife, and the dramatics of Hazards of Love, releasing a straight forward collection of excellent songs. 


Another nice gatefold from these guys, this time a single 180 gram disc with a download code and nice heavy printed sleeve with lyrics. Reviews @ metacritic!

I wasn't aware that there was a new release coming from these guys, but my friend from Cincinnati came up for a day of record shopping and I couldn't wait to take him to Spoonful for the first time. While browsing after some pinball, I was quite happy to see 'The Decemberists' on something new on the counter (almost missed it!) and immediately claimed it as mine.   The best part: I had a hefty Christmas gift Visa card from my son's grandparents to spend.  Sweeeeet!!

Note: There's a short banjo ditty before Dear Avery, that is not not included in the official download.



Like so many other great records I missed out on while going through my early teen years with R&B blinders on, the Minutemen are a refreshing new addition to my musical vocabulary.  Long live short-attention-span rock & roll!!


This reissue is beautifully crafted in a very heavy old-school Stoughton tip-on gatefold jacket (my first double Stoughton!). All 45 original songs are here on 2 heavy discs, including the Van Halen cover Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love that was removed from CD reissues years ago.  Photos/drawings & credits on the inner cover, and lyrics are printed on the back.  The history of the Minutemen and great details of this album can be read on Wiki.


No comments: