January 25, 2012

Sharon Jones & The Dap Kings: Soul Time!

Every time I come upon Sharon Jones And The Dap Kings in the bins, I pause. I pick up the records and look them over, and picture myself rockin' out with 'em on a Saturday night here in my living room. Then I put 'em back and move on- always in search of something a little more immediate, a little more funky.  When Spoonful posted a new Sharon Jones title was in stock- I was already in that kinda mood. I clicked over to amazon to hear some samples, I heard a more immediate Sharon Jones. A MORE FUNKY Sharon Jones!  I grabbed my keys & wallet, and high-tailed it on down to my fave rekkid stow..

Ok ok.. this isn't new material- it's just new to ME. Released for Black Friday 2011, it's a compilation of non-album rare cuts and b-sides from the following sources:
  • 1-2. Genuine Pt.s 1 & 2: [vinyl 7" only release January 2004]
  • 3. Longer And Stronger [from the soundtrack For Colored Girls]
  • 4. He Said I Can [iTunes bonus from I Learned The Hard Way]
  • 5. I'm Not Gonna Try [Daptone Gold comp 2009]
  • 6. When I Come Home [bonus from LP download card to I Learned The Hard Way, and on bonus 7" included with album pre-orders from Daptone]
  • 7. What If We All Stopped Paying Taxes? [non-album single 2002]
  • 8. Settling In [iTunes bonus for 100 Days, 100 Nights]
  • 9. Ain't No Chimneys In The Projects [2009 Daptone Christmas split 7"]
  • 10. New Shoes [played live but previously unreleased]
  • 11. Without A Trace [amazon bonus from I Learned The Hard Way]
  • 12. Inspiration Information [Shuggie Otis cover from Red Hot's 2009 Dark Was The Night comp]
Unfortunately, Genuine Pts. 1 & 2 retain the fade-out during the middle of the song, and then fades back in to continue with Pt. 2, as it does on the single. WHY?  Also of note: in the top right corner it says Soul Time Vol.1, so hopefully a follow-up compiles more harder-to-find tracks.

Single LP in a single tip-on old-school jacket with download card.

Sharon Jones & The Dap Kings online.
On facebook.
Soul Time! & meacritic.
Daptone Records online.

No comments: